Sunday, July 24, 2011

A quick note about the name of this blog:

‘The door swings both ways’ is a phrase that I have started using frequently as I consider the implications of arguments for metaphysical positions.  The thought process used to bolster one side can almost always be used just as effectively to prop up the opposing side.

The door swings both ways…

This lovely phrase gets its own place in my list of perseverative favorites such as “it’s a story about redemption” and my current favorite, “the primary motivation of human behavior is social”.

3 comments:

  1. The fact that your apostasy blog contains a hidden (and perhaps unintentional?) reference to The Ghostbusters gives me no small joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Egon Spengler: I have a radical idea. The door swings both ways, we could reverse the particle flow through the gate.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: How?
    Dr. Egon Spengler: [hesitates] We'll cross the streams.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: 'Scuse me Egon? You said crossing the streams was bad!
    Dr Ray Stantz: Cross the streams...
    Dr. Peter Venkman: You're gonna endanger us, you're gonna endanger our client - the nice lady, who paid us in advance, before she became a dog...
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Not necessarily. There's definitely a *very slim* chance we'll survive.
    [pause while they consider this]
    Dr. Peter Venkman: [slaps Ray] I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it! LET'S DO IT!

    Unfortunately... completely unintentional. I had to go find it :)

    ReplyDelete